Sunday, February 9, 2014

Solids

Up to this point I've been pretty adamant that Lily wouldn't start solids until she was 6 months old because the research says that it will help to prevent her from getting Celiac Disease. I don't want any of my kids to go through what I've gone through and I'm pretty much willing to do anything to prevent them from getting it. Lily has been acting ready for solids for a few weeks now and I've gone back and forth on giving them to her. Finally one of my friends told me about the newest research that contradicted the old opinion of how to prevent Celiac. Being the public health nerd I am, I went and looked up the peer reviewed journal articles and discovered that my friend was right. This made me feel relieved because Lily has been acting ready and milk hasn't seemed to be enough to satisfy her recently.

Yesterday we started her on rice cereal. She loved it and I cried the entire time. She opened her mouth for every spoonful and ate the entire thing. She was in heaven and I was miserable.  Part of me wanted her to hate it so much that she'd never want it again and only want to nurse for the foreseeable future. I was so sad that for the first time in my babies life she didn't just need me. What I had to offer her wasn't good enough anymore. It was a painful reminder that she is growing up too quickly! But I was happy that after she ate all of her rice cereal she decided that she still wanted to nurse. It definitely made the transition easier for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment